Slumber's Call
I destroy myself in parts,
When pain takes me over
The nail ends crack in bits
And lips shed their skin
Spitting out dew drops of blood
That hold the redness of
The burning anguish within.
I want to escape and fly away
To chasms unknown and
Break the strings of memory.
I yearn to just escape and
Never come back to this
Deadly world of questions and
Answers, never-ending misunderstandings
Where people pretend to
Know their loved ones, but
Fail to understand them
Fail to acknowledge the other's pain
Fail to address the unaddressed
Where silence knits a thousand tents
Closed spaces, each far from the other.
This world where love is pain
And memory is a scar
Where kindness is malice
Often mistook as pretence in chains
Where being you is an offence
Where loving is a sin
Where longing is mockery
Where leaving is solace
Where loss is death and
Where courage is cowardice,
This is a space from where I want to leave
Leave forever and never return
So I try to sleep, shutting my bereaved
Eyes to the smirking face of the world
Wishing to drown and dissolve
In the wrinkled folds of the blanket
To disappear without answers into
The deep well that sleep digs in bits
When pain takes me over
The nail ends crack in bits
And lips shed their skin
Spitting out dew drops of blood
That hold the redness of
The burning anguish within.
I want to escape and fly away
To chasms unknown and
Break the strings of memory.
I yearn to just escape and
Never come back to this
Deadly world of questions and
Answers, never-ending misunderstandings
Where people pretend to
Know their loved ones, but
Fail to understand them
Fail to acknowledge the other's pain
Fail to address the unaddressed
Where silence knits a thousand tents
Closed spaces, each far from the other.
This world where love is pain
And memory is a scar
Where kindness is malice
Often mistook as pretence in chains
Where being you is an offence
Where loving is a sin
Where longing is mockery
Where leaving is solace
Where loss is death and
Where courage is cowardice,
This is a space from where I want to leave
Leave forever and never return
So I try to sleep, shutting my bereaved
Eyes to the smirking face of the world
Wishing to drown and dissolve
In the wrinkled folds of the blanket
To disappear without answers into
The deep well that sleep digs in bits
Into that hollowness and to close
The lid once and forever, so that
Turning back becomes an impossibility
But every single time, sleep deceives
It drains itself, and turns me over
With the eyes protruding into this
Dark furnace of mess, witnessing
The lighted world that awaits to
Knock me into despair, again.
What I see is nothing but a
Colourful world that takes away
My colours and adorns itself
A blinding thief that has no shame.
The lid once and forever, so that
Turning back becomes an impossibility
But every single time, sleep deceives
It drains itself, and turns me over
With the eyes protruding into this
Dark furnace of mess, witnessing
The lighted world that awaits to
Knock me into despair, again.
What I see is nothing but a
Colourful world that takes away
My colours and adorns itself
A blinding thief that has no shame.
- Vinaya Mary
10/23

Comments
Post a Comment